As mentioned before ACR we have been asked to participate in the Canada Day Celebrations held here in Greenwood. 517 has always been outstanding in assisting our military counterparts whether it’s through volunteering at the mess or assisting with the legion for Remembrance Day. The local Canada 150 celebration is finally a way for us to give back to the local communities where we all live and go to school. In exchange for our participation, Greenwood will be erecting a pillar with all the names of those who helped make the day so special as a way to signify our importance in the community.
While this event is not mandatory, I really urge all of you to participate (and enjoy the day!). Please let us know through social media just to give us an idea on the numbers however you are welcome to show up the day of.
For the Parade:
- In full dress uniform.
- Meet at the Sobey’s parking lot in Greenwood for 10am. Capt Bourque will be there to meet you.
- Any cadets interested in getting fitted into a historical military uniform please message us ASAP. You need to be about 5’6″ to 5’10”.
- You will be done before lunch and can change out of your uniform for the rest of the day.
For the bottle collection fundraiser:
- We will be assisting with keeping the grounds free of litter and in exchange we get to keep all the recyclables.
- Parents/families are invited to help assist with this as well.
- Starting at noon on the hour every hour those who are available will meet Capt Bourque (or other available staff member) in front of 107 Valley Wing and do a quick sweep of the grounds. Checking in with a staff member will be important as attendance will be taken so that your volunteer hours can be counted towards next year (position selections, summer camp, etc…)
- Please wear appropriate civilian clothing. Bring water and sunscreen.
- The last sweep of the grounds will be around 11pm after the fireworks. This one will be the most important (and could use the most parent support) as this is when everyone will be clearing out.
- Other then that, you are free to enjoy the day.
If there are any questions or concerns, please let us know!
All camp itineraries for course and staff cadets have been emailed. The email address they were sent from is firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have not yet received your camp itinerary please let me know.
Also, just a reminder that the joining instructions can be found in my previous post here. Cadets and parents are encouraged to read through this document as it contains very important information. In addition it includes forms relating to requests for parental pick up, medications administration etc. that need to be completed and on your person when arriving to camp.
If you have any questions please let us know.
Just a friendly reminder that those going to camp are required to attend tomorrow’s meeting at Birchall from 1830-2030 in the upstairs classrooms. Questions will be answered regarding camp and travel information will be provided.
For those cadets who have any allergies requiring an epi pen and/or food allergies/sensitives must be there are there is paperwork you and a parent/guardian are required to complete in order to attend camp. This info was just given to us late last week.
For cadets who have not submitted their signed camp offers please ensure you do so tomorrow night and this is required to be signed by yourself and parent/guardian to attend camp.
Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow night.
If you have applied for glider or power pilot courses and have not yet been selected please let me know whether or not you have submitted your medical. Please contact me ASAP by phone 902-789-5175 or email email@example.com
Just a friendly reminder that tomorrow evening is the Decoration of the Graves in Middleton. This is a mandatory parade for all cadets and you can find out more about the significance of the parade here. Cadets are expected to be in full dress uniform with medals and to arrive at the Middleton DMV parking lot (see map below) for 1800. The parade will begin at 1900. This is another relatively quick parade so parents are encouraged to stay and leave once your cadet is finished.
The following cadets have signed up for gliding tomorrow:
There is still plenty of room for more cadets (30 max) so if you’re interested, please let us know!
Reminder that this activity is in civvies from 8-4 (at the latest) and lunch is not provided.
Please ensure any cadet who has a food allergy/sensitivity or requires an epi pen for either food or other allergy is required to be at the camp information night next week, June 14th. There are forms required to be completed and signed off or you will not be able to attend camp.
All cadet attending camp are required to attend as we will be providing travel information.
All seniors for the 2017-2018 training year are asked to please fill out this survey. This will help us to plan for next year (including instructors positions!!).
You can find it here.
The following cadets HAVE completed the survey (thank you!!) and we have your responses:
- FSgt Scott, A
- FSgt Yade, R
- Sgt Chega, N
- Sgt Jamieson, J
- Sgt Ouellet, A
- FCpl Phuong, B
- FCpl Walsh, S
Due to some of the level 5s attending prom tomorrow evening, we are now requesting levels 4s and up to assist with the packing up of the squadron. Reminder that this will be from 6:30pm till 8:30pm at Birchall tomorrow.
Monday, June 5th
- Optional activities are done for the training year.
Wednesday, June 7th
- All staff and level 5s (and up) are required to assist with the packing up of the squadron for the summer
- Cadets are required from 6:30pm till 8:30pm
Saturday, June 10th
- Backup Gliding Day from 8:00am till 4:00pm at Birchall
- Due to the technical difficulties we had on our last gliding day we were offered a backup day weather permitting
- This is only available to those cadets who did not get a turn in the glider last May, everyone else is welcome. There are currently 30 spots available so please message us to let us know if you are interested in going.
- Lunch is NOT provided so please bring your own food and activities to keep yourself busy while we wait. The dress is comfortable civilian attire.
Sunday, June 11th
- Decoration of the Graves in Middleton. This is a MANDATORY parade for all cadets and you can find out more about the significance of the parade here. Cadets are expected to be in full dress uniform with medals and to arrive at the Middleton DMV parking lot (see map below) for 6:00 pm. The parade will begin at 7:00 pm. This is a relatively quick parade so parents are encouraged to stay and leave once your cadet is finished.
Upcoming dates to make note of:
- Wednesday, June 14th will be our parent meeting in regards to summer camp. This is a mandatory meeting for both the parents and cadets of those who have officially been selected to attend summer training
- This will be held in classrooms 9 & 10 in Birchall from 6:30 pm till 8:30 pm. Staff will be available to answer any questions.