Sign ups for the Level 3/4 Weekend will start at break tomorrow. This is mandatory training (and assessments!) so all cadets that will not be in attendance should submit a note to Admin.
Staff cadets will be asked to sign up for this as well in their usual location – note there will be specific classes for instructors to choose if they are available.
Cadets and staff are welcome to wear their appropriate civilian attire tomorrow. We are asking that cadets donate $1 to do this and the money is going towards the Upper Room Food Bank in Kingston.
Staff cadet applications are now due on NOVEMBER 29TH. The application date was just announced and it is sooner then in previous years. There is lots of information in the Level 5 Office.
Level 5 cadets that are in charge of events between now and the Holiday break are required to check in with Lt Roberts at some point this week to talk about your plans – this means you must come with some sort of idea as to what you are planning!
We are still in need of additional support from the cadets today. If any of the cadets scheduled this afternoon are able to arrive earlier then 2pm, please message the Facebook page and we’ll coordinate things from there. Thanks again for all the support so far!
We are still in need of many volunteers for our poppy campaign tomorrow (Saturday).
If ANY cadets are able to fill a shift, please Facebook or email the squadron ASAP.
We have almost filled our shifts for poppy campaign this year! We do still have a couple of open spots, and lots to fill this Saturday.
You can see the open spots in real time on this post (https://517aircadets.wordpress.com/2017/10/24/poppy-campaign/). Please contact us via Facebook or email if you are able to cover a shift.
Thank you for your continued support!
To clarify this weeks update, the timings for the Corn Maze will be from 1pm-3pm. Thank you to those who brought this missing info to our attention.
This is also a reminder that there will be a parents meeting tomorrow at 7pm. We will be going over the many upcoming activities as well as providing more information on how as a parent you can help support the squadron. There are several fundraisers and community events that we could use occasional adult support for (similar to the Air Show). If you are interested in helping out in this way, please attend the meeting tomorrow or pass a message through our social media.
There has been some confusion as to which soccer field we will be meeting at tomorrow. Please meet at the soccer field next to 107 Valley Wing close to the Greenwood McDonalds.
The National Air Cadet League is having an online auction of merchandise/services as a means to generate much needed revenue to support the work of the League.
The auction is being hosted at an online auction site for non-profit organizations called eFlea. The link to the ACL auction is https://aircadetleague2017.eflea.ca .
As a point of consideration, the Air Cadet League funds the maintenance of all gliders and tow planes that are used across Canada. These activities would not be possible if it wasn’t for the support of the league.
As of right now we’re still incredibly short on volunteers for the Airshow the weekend of August 26-27. The timings each day are 8am-4pm.
We currently need:
Saturday: 6 more adults, 10 more cadets
Sunday: 5 more adults, 6 more cadets.
If you are able to help out, please fill out this form ASAP.
This is a great way to get into the airshow for free and help fundraise for the squadron!
I hope everyone had a good summer. With only a week left of summer camp we’re finally in the initial stages of getting ready for the 2017-2018 training year. While timings will be confirmed over the next week or so, here are some upcoming dates to keep in mind:
Greenwood Airshow – Aug 26th & 27th
- The timings have been confirmed as 8am-4pm on both days. I am still looking for more parent and cadet volunteers. There is a possibility for us to receive some financial compensation for our time which would be a great early start to our fundraising.
- Please fill out this form if you are available and haven’t already: https://goo.gl/forms/9oHIVrdheJdADrO32
- Further information will be passed down later on this week.
Staff Meeting – Aug 28th
- First monthly staff meeting of the year and the official unpacking of the unit for the year.
- 1800-2100 at Birchall.
Level 5 Training Workshop – Sept 2nd-3rd
- This overnight activity is for new and returning level 5s and up.
- This mandatory weekend is to prepare you for your responsibilities as classroom instructors and the senior leaders within 517. It will also cover the mandatory classroom material required to pass level 5. Should you be unable to attend it is important you let us know asap.
- More information will be coming out once summer camp is over.
Welcome Back BBQ – Sept 6th
- This is an event for the whole family and an opportunity to bring a new friend who might be interested in joining cadets. There will be games and activities run by the senior cadets during the BBQ. Please wear appropriate sports attire.
- We will be updating everyone’s personal files as well as providing a chance to get into supply to sort out any uniform issues before the year begins.
- There will also be a parent meeting with Capt Bourque in order for her to touch base before the year really gets on it’s way.
Battle of Britain Parade – Sept 17th
Gliding – Sept 30th
If there are any questions, please let us know. We will not have access to our phones until after the 28th so continue to reach out through our social media and we will get back to you asap.
On August 26th-27th, Greenwood will be hosting the Air Show Atlantic. 517 has an opportunity to volunteer with this event in order to help assist and serve mostly veterans in the VIP section of the airshow. As of right now we do not have exact timings, however we have committed 30 people per day to help out. This can be a combination of both parents and cadets. The perks are admission and a free t-shirt! Please indicate your availability on the form linked below.
***Please sign up as individuals and not as a family so that we can get a better idea on our numbers. Let us know if you have any questions.***
Air Show Sign Up Link